Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What's for Dinner? Chicken Noodle Casserole

I'm not a food blogger, but I love food blogs. I really love to read about recipes and cooking. I'm especially impressed by food photography (Side note: Several weeks ago, I was working the shop and I brought along the "100" issue of Saveur magazine. The photography was was beautiful and so scrumptious looking that I felt like I could lick the pages and taste the dishes. Obviously, no such luck, but I did end up at Central Market right after my shift to buy ingredients to make Tomato Bread Salad with herbed roule. Yum!)

I'm a big fan of casseroles, a much maligned food category, in my opinion. When you're in a rush and you're trying to think of something delicious and satisfying to feed your family, a casserole always seems to hit the spot. I sometimes imagine that if the Midwest had an official regional food, it would be The Casserole. Being a lover of chicken noodle soup, but wanting something more substantial, I decided to improvise and create the Chicken Noodle Casserole. (Recipe below.)


Queen Sassy Pant's More Than Delicious Chicken Noodle Casserole

Ingredients:

1 Rotisserie chicken, meat pulled from bone and cubed (or if you prefer, about a pound of chicken breast, cooked and cubed)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced white or yellow (non-sweet) onion
1 pound linguini, broken in half, cooked just shy of al dente (any short pasta will suffice, really)
1.5 cups of milk (I used 2%. If you want a saucier casserole, you may need as much as 2 cups)
1 can of Cream of Chicken soup, though Cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom would be just as delicious
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray a casserole dish (in this case, a 5-qt Le Creuset French oven) with non-stick spray and add noddles. Set aside.

2. In a skillet or non-stick pan, over medium-low heat, sweat the vegetables until soft. You don't want them to brown, but rather slowly release their flavor. This takes about 10-12 minutes.

3. In a medium sized sauce pan, combine milk, soup, and 2 T of Parmesan. Allow to thicken slightly.

4. Combined chicken, skillet vegetables, peas, and sauce. Pour over noodles in the casserole dish and carefully stir to incorporate. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese.

5. Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes or until bubbly. For a brown top, pop under the broiler for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic!

To make kosher meat version, omit Parmesan cheese, switch milk to parve soy milk and substitute the cream of chicken with a parve cream of mushroom.

Cream of Mushroom
1 Tbs parve margarine
1/4 c chopped mushrooms
1 Tbs minced onion
3 Tbs margarine
3 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/4 c parve soy milk, heated

Melt 1 Tbs margarine & saute veggies lightly. Remove from pan.
Melt 3 Tbs margarine.
Whisk in 3 Tbs flour and the seasonings.
Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Slowly add hot soy milk, whisking to prevent lumps.
Cook until thick, stirring constantly.

Gloria L. said...

I love this idea! Thanks for posting the paerve soup alternative.