Thursday, January 7, 2010

So Much Cake!

So yesterday I decided that I needed to do something fun. Not that the multitude of things that I do daily aren't fun, it's just that, well, they're not that fun. Anyway, I was at JoANN Fabrics looking at stuff (mostly for a laminating machine and then I found one and it was really too expensive and I thought, "Meh. I've got some clear packing tape. That should do the trick.") and noticed that the *Wilton Cake Decorating Class I was starting tonight.

I headed up to the store and was so excited to start my first class. There are four of us. One student is a baker with a great cupcake store where she does nothing but decorate a bazillion cupcakes a day. The other two students are a mother-daughter team where the daughter became totally inspired and actually learned something on the so-called Learning Channel by watching this guy. And then there was me. Front of the class-too-many-questions-boring-everyone-with-her-know-it-all-attitude Me.

It was so much fun! Today was learning how to level a cake, tort fill (where you use a bead of frosting around the cake perimeter as a little wall to keep all the delicious filling from oozing down the sides of the cake), and frost the cake. Next week we'll have to bring in our own cakes to decorate and this will continue for the next three weeks. So three more weeks with three cakes. I'm sensing a need to buy bigger pants.

*I'll try to remember to take photos of my work.

No comments: